Make generative music on your Mac or PC.
”Desktop Composition Software Changes the Face of Music”
— Wired Gadget Lab review of Nodal
What is Nodal?
Nodal is generative software for composing music, interactive real-time improvisation, and a musical tool for experimentation and play. Nodal uses a new method for creating and exploring musical patterns, probably unlike anything you’ve used before. You can play sounds using Nodal’s built-in synthesiser or any MIDI compatible hardware or software instrument.
Nodal is based around the concept of a user-defined network. The network consists of nodes (musical events) and edges (connections between events). You interactively define the network, which is then automatically traversed by any number of virtual players. Players play their instruments according to the notes specified in each node. The time taken to travel from one node to another is based on the length of the edges that connect the nodes. Nodal allows you to create complex, changing sequences using just a few simple elements. Its unique visual representation allows you to edit and interact with the music generating system as the composition plays.
Nodal is compatible with DAW software such as Ableton Live, Logic Studio, Digital Performer and Garage Band. It can transmit and receive MIDI sync. You can edit a network using the mouse and keyboard, and optionally a MIDI keyboard. Nodal recognises and sends notes, sync, continuous controller and pitch bend information.
- simple but powerful interface
- edit your composition while it is playing – great for improvisation and quickly creating new musical ideas
- compatible with any MIDI synthesiser and all major Digital Audio software
- can run stand alone using the built-in synthesiser
- live performance tools: trigger complex sequences within the network using any MIDI keyboard or MIDI input device
- define your own interactive continuous controller curves (e.g. Volume, Pan, Modulation) for greater musical expression
- built-in examples and tutorial information to get you started and making music quickly
“Thank you for absconding with so much of last night’s sleep! Nodal is a truly gorgeous, elegant application.“Nodal User Beligo
Download the latest release for Mac OS and Windows here.
– MacOS 13 or 11 (Nodal 2 is a 64bit application and runs under MacOS 10.15 “Catalina” and MacOS 11 “Big Sur”)
– Windows 7 and above
You can try the full version* of Nodal free for 30 days after which time you’ll need to purchase a license to keep using it.
*during the trial period saving is disabled.
To buy a Nodal license, click on the button below. We accept all major credit cards, PayPal and Wire Transfer. You can pay in your local currency.
- Run up to 2 copies of Nodal on Mac or PC, e.g. work PC and personal Mac laptop
- Free minor release upgrades and bug fixes
- Your support helps with the on-going development of Nodal and allow us to add new features and provide updates
Upgrade from Nodal 1
If you purchased a Nodal 1 license we offer special discounted upgrade pricing for Nodal 2. Please contact support and send your Nodal 1 purchase receipt and licence key.